15 June 2010

A Cautionary Tale

So my friend Hannah and I decided to try out a mac 'n' cheese recipe from Evil Shenanigans.  But, we didn't end up making that mac 'n' cheese.  Instead we invented one on the fly.  We learned something today: evaporated milk goes bad.  And the evaporated milk I had in my pantry went bad in 2007.  Luckily we figured this out before we tried to eat it, or even cook with it.  So my advice to you: check the date on your evaporated milk before you open it.  It's gross when it's old.  Like really gross.  Also we had some cayenne pepper drama, which is too icky for me to recount.

So instead of making the recipe we planned on, we had to wing it.  Thus, I don't know exactly what measurements we used, but mac 'n' cheese is the kind of thing that you should adjust to your personal tastes anyhow.  Here are the ingredients (with approximate measurements) and procedure:

Approximate measurements:
8 oz. macaroni
6 oz. grated cheddar cheese
1 tbsp. butter
1/3 c. milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper (to taste)

Put water on medium heat.  When it boils, add the pasta, and cook it until it is al dente (follow directions on package).  Drain the pasta and put it back in the pan.

Cooking over low heat, add the butter and stir until melted.  Stir in the milk, egg, and chili powder, and stir for about 3 minutes.   Remove from heat.

Stir in the cheese in 4 additions, making sure that each section is fully incorporated before adding the next.  Season with salt and pepper.

Now I enjoyed the our impromptu macaroni, but I'd still like to try the Evil Shenanigan recipe, which looked deliciously gooey.  Here you see Hannah delighting in our achievement:
Kawaii desu ne?  Also, COMING SOON:  Death By Chocolate Brownies, which we made for dessert!  They are literally too gooey for me to take pictures yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment