29 October 2010

Happy Halloween from Roxannosaurus

Well I have to admit that these cupcakes are made from a box.

Sorry.

But that's not the point!  The point is the cuteness!  I made that pretty orange frosting (recipe to follow), and the sprinkles were a gift from my wonderful mother.  I literally received an envelope full of sprinkles.  And I was most pleased.

The muffins cups and skull-toppers are from Sur La Table.  I couldn't resist getting them.  Here is the problem with Portland: at one intersection, three of the four corners have stores where I spend horrible amounts of money: Powell's books, Anthropology, and Sur La Table.  If I have to go buy something at one of those stores, I will inevitably end up shopping at all of them.  It is a serious problem because I have no money.

So naturally a few weeks ago, when I needed to pick up a book from Powell's, I ended up actually buying three books, and well as some oven mitts shaped like cats, a spatula, and these adorable Halloween cupcake decorations.  Actually not as bad as it could have been.

So I made these cupcakes for my residents, and they were pretty well-received.  Here's the amazing delicious recipe I used for the icing:

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1-2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream

Beat the butter and sugar on low speed until well blended, then beat on medium speed for another three minutes.  Add vanilla and cream and beat on medium for another minute.

Happy Halloween, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment