02 June 2011

Guacamummus (Hummus + Avocado)


Before we get to today's killer recipe, let me tell you something.

I grew up in Los Angeles, but now spend most of my time at school in Portland.  I prefer Portland to Los Angeles in every way.  Every way, that is, except one.

You can't get good avocados in Portland.

You can get avocados, sometimes, but they are neither as delicious nor as abundant as they are in Los Angeles.  So when I get back home in the summers, I practically gorge myself on avocados non-stop.


Yesterday I decided I would finally make this recipe from Gimme Some Oven, which I discovered months ago but haven't had the means for until now.  It's simple, delicious, and requires only a food processor to make it!  So here goes, with my personal tweaks added:

1 avocado, peeled and pitted
1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained
1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 c. chopped red onion (n.b.: you may need more or less depending on the strength of the onion)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2 tbsp. tahini (optional)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
Salt, to taste

Thoroughly combine ingredients in a food processor.


Easy-peasy!  And it really does taste like guacamole, with the texture (and protein) of hummus!  I wish I could tell you how long the guacamummus keeps in the fridge, but we ate this batch in the first day.  I guess someone will have to report back.

Happy hummus!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to make this whenever I can get ahold of an overpriced, seasonally available, somewhat tasteless avocado in Portland.

    ReplyDelete