06 October 2010

More from Magnolia: Double Chocolate Chip Heath Bar Cookies

Today was the last day before our four-day Fall Break, and I had only one class.  To celebrate I made these deliciously evil cookies, adapted from the Magnolia Bakery cookbook.  But before I tell you about these cookies, let me introduce you to my workspace here at school:




So here's the kitchen in my dorm.  Keep in mind that this is the "good" kitchen on my floor.  The one on the other side of the hall is basically made up of a closet with a sink in it and an alcove containing a small refrigerator with a microwave on top of it.

Maybe that picture didn't really illustrate how narrow the space is, so:



Oh yeah.  The width of the room is approximately that of a door (or, one human and one trash can).  Did I mention that this kitchen is shared by sixteen people?


If I'm in there baking cookies and Corey needs to come in and heat up some taquitos, I have to glue myself to the wall to let him get to the microwave.  There's barely even room for my disgruntled cat timer!
No fancy gadgets, no counter space, and other people's dishes everywhere.  It's quite the challenge.  But we make it work!

Now, on to the recipe...

The recipe calls for pecans, but man, do I not like pecans.  So instead of pecans, I put in EXTRA chocolate chips.  If you are weird and you don't hate pecans, you should put in 1 1/2 c. pecans instead of 1 1/2 c. milk chocolate chips.

2 1/4 c. flour
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder (I used 1/3 c. regular cocoa powder and 1/3 c. black onyx cocoa powder)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. (2 2/3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
3 tbsp. milk
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS (not damn pecans)
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
4 coarsely chopped Heath Bars or similar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars.  Beat in eggs.  Beat in milk and vanilla.  Beat in flour mixture and mix thoroughly.  Stir in the chocolate chips and Heath Bars (oh, fine, add the pecans too).

Drop in teaspoon-sized balls onto ungreased cookie sheet; bake 10-12 minutes.



Here's an extreme close up of a cookie with a very shallow depth of field.  Isn't it a freaking delicious-looking cookie?  Because it's freaking delicious.  I think I ate at least one from every batch I made, and I made about six batches.  Yikes.

Make some cookies now!

No comments:

Post a Comment