24 May 2010

Pasta with Shrimp and Tomato-Cream Sauce




So today I fell very suddenly and mysteriously ill.  I spent the entire day reading food blogs, and wishing I could cook instead of being in bed.  When I found this recipe on The Pioneer Woman, I decided to make it tonight, mysterious sickness be damned.
Om nom nom, right?  So let's do it.
Here are the ingredients:
1 lb. penne (Or whatever you want.  I'm not judgmental like that.  Plus I won't even know)
1 lb. shrimp
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 c. white wine
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 c. heavy cream
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. olive oil
basil and parsley, to taste (I recommend about a tablespoon of each)
salt and pepper, to taste

First, peel, de-vein and rinse the shrimp.  Heat a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of oil in a skillet, and fry those suckers up.  A couple minutes should do the trick.
 Okay, now you might want to put some water on to boil.  And, when it boils, maybe put that pasta in.  I'm not going to tell you when to do it, so pay attention.  I know you're on top of it.

Now, chop some onions and garlic.

I'm pretty good at chopping onions, but I suck at chopping garlic.  Slippery little bastards.  So sometimes I use this really handy thing.  You just stick some garlic in and roll it around on the counter.  It's great.  A little tricky to clean.

Now, briefly return to your little shrimps.  Cut them up into bite sized pieces.  I had a system where I cut the heads and tails off in one slice, and then cut the body in half.  But do your own thing.
Once that's done, heat the rest of the butter and oil in a pan.  The pan should be pretty large: eventually it'll hold the pasta, shrimp AND sauce.  When the butter is melted, stir in the onions and garlic.  Then, add the wine.  Mmm, sizzly.
Then add the tomato sauce, followed by the cream.
Yum.  Okay, now we chop our herbs.  Then, add things to our sauce, in this order:
Shrimp-->Herbs-->Pasta (did you forget about the pasta?  Because it should be cooked and strained by now)
Stir it up and it's ready to eat!  It really was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment