20 July 2010

Cheddar-Bacon-Garlic-Chive Muffins

Although this is a cooking blog, I would like to give an anecdote from my weekend.  I was flying home from Rochester, and my flight was delayed by two hours.  The ever-helpful (not) Delta employees assured me that, if everything went smoothly (which it clearly had been so far) I would have 20 minutes in Detroit to catch my flight to LA.

Try four minutes.  Try running through the Detroit airport, across 12 moving walkways and up and down 6 escalators.  While I have a terrible cold.  While keeping an eye on a small asthmatic girl that I have decided to take care of because her mom (in heels) can't keep up.  And then I slip in a puddle of soapy water that no one bothered to put signs around.  Gaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

Anyhow, I fortunately made my flight, but have spent the day getting over my illness and butt-bruises from the fall.  And, as always when I am sick, I decided I wanted to cook something.  So I decided to try and make some cheesy muffins.

I had tried a recipe from The Pioneer Woman, and I thought it was just O.K.  I didn't like the addition of sugar.  So I made some modifications, and I am extremely happy with the outcome.

I do still have a problem with this recipe.  The problem is that it makes twelve muffins.  Twelve is not enough!!  But nevertheless, here you are.

Ingredients:
1/2 stick butter
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt (and pepper, to taste)
3 c. shredded cheese (cheddar or jack works well, but feel free to get creative!)
1 c. milk
1 egg
4 slices bacon, crumbled
2 tsp. chives

In a small pan, melt the butter and stir in the garlic.  Fry your bacon and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.  Stir in cheese.

In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg and butter mixture.  Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir with a wooden spoon.  Stir in chives and crumbled bacon.

Butter or grease a muffin tin and divide the batter among cups.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment