02 July 2010

A Savory Interlude: Quick and Easy Tomato Sauce

I've been baking a lot recently, but I do like to cook actual food as well.  This weekend I have the house to myself, so I'm making my own dinners.  We had frozen meatballs that we bought from Ikea (Ikea makes meatballs--who knew?) which I suspect were meant to be Swedish meatballs, but a meatball is a meatball really.  So I wanted to make pasta, but didn't feel like making the elaborate tomato sauce my mom makes (which is really the best).

Then I remembered this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, which I have made a few times before.  It's not the most thrilling sauce, but it is delicious, easy and cheap.  Perfect for nights like tonight!

The recipe has only 3 ingredients:

one 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
one yellow onion, peeled and halved
5 tbsp. butter

Put the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.  Lower the heat to keep the sauce at a steady simmer, stirring occasionally and crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pan with the back of a wooden spoon.  After about 45 minutes, or when drops of fat float free of the tomatoes, remove from heat and discard the onion.

Easy, isn't it?  And it has a simple but fresh flavor.  The recipe says it makes 4 servings, but I prefer a lot of sauce so I found it only made two.  What a glutton.

No comments:

Post a Comment