02 July 2010

Grandma's(?) Zucchini Bread

In the summer my family grows zucchini.  We grow so much of it we don't know what to do.  We give it away, we roast it, we fry it, we fill it with tomato sauce (which I consider a failed experiment).  I get so sick of it.  Luckily, I have a tasty recipe for zucchini bread, which is an easy and delicious way to use up zucchini.  Plus you can give it away to friends and neighbors!

I think this recipe was my grandmother's, but it looks like it's written down in my sister's handwriting, and was discovered in my mom's cupboard, so who knows.  Nevertheless it makes some damn fine bread.

1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 c. zucchini, grated (I always peel mine first, but you don't have to)
1 c. canola oil
3 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. coarsely chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl mix sugars, zucchini, oil, eggs and vanilla until well combined.  Add flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon and mix well.  If desired, add the nuts (I never add nuts ever).

Grandma then instructs that you bake "1 hour or until done."  Thanks, grandma, I will bake it until it is done.

This recipe makes two 9x5x3" pans of bread, but I only had one pan that size so I made two small loaves instead, as you can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment